The Queenston Chapel is a favorite place for weddings, even today. It is currently available to rent for wedding ceremonies only. The Chapel has an interesting history. Religious faith and an methodist Act of God both played a part in its founding.
- Advertisement -
A detailed historical account follows below.
George Neal was a devout Wesleyan Methodist and a Major in the British Army during the War of Independence. He fled the United States in pursuit of religious freedom and personal freedom. Major Neal arrived in Queenston in 1786, determined to spread the Christian Gospel in the new land through bible classes.
The British Officer-in-Charge of the militia post in Queenston, believed that only clergy of the established Anglican Chirch of England should preach in the colonies. The officer feared Neal was spreading anti-government propoganda and anti-British/Anglican feeling among the people. He forbade Neal from preaching and gave him thirty days to leave the country. Unfortunately, the Officer-in-Charge himself fell ill and died during the thirty day time period and Major Neal was permitted to stay.
Major Neal and Christian Warner (of nearby St. Davids) organized classes for the area. These classes resulted in the founding of Queenston United Church.
Built as a Wesleyan Methodist greeting house in 1862 at a cost 'not to exceed $700', the white clapboard building was of simple design. It was a one room frame building featuring gothic styled windows.
IN 1925, the Queenston Methodist Church became part of a Church Union movement, which resulted in the founding of the United Church of Canada.The chapel was renovated in 1939 to include a vestry, choir room and a raised platform. In 1958, to better serve a growing congregation, the Church moved to its present location.
In 1997, the congregation of Queenston United Church decided to amalgamate with the St. David's United Church. The trustees and members of the former Queenston United Church generously donated this historic building and property to the Niagara Parks Commission. The Queenston Chapel is currently available for wedding ceremonies only.
Location: Northeast corner of Niagara Parkway and Dumfries Street
Links to other pages