McFarland House was built in 1800 by John McFarland and his sons, on land granted to him by King George III.
This is one of the few buildings in Niagara-on-the-Lake which pre-dates the War of 1812.
- Advertisement -
The House was used as a headquarters for British Officers during the war of 1812. It was also used as a hospital by both sides, and was the location of British and American Artillery battalions protecting the Niagara River.
A ravine of the property was used as the launch point for the British attack on Fort Niagara in 1813. It was beautifully restored by the Niagara Parks Commission and opened to the public in 1959. Enjoy a guided tour of the historic home and the lovely 19th century herb garden. The house is located in a lovely park setting, with playground facilities and a baseball diamond.
A covered picnic pavilion seats approx. 100 people and has running water and washroom facilities nearby.
The McFarland Tea Garden features home baking, Niagara wines, and light lunches in a tranquil outdoor patio setting. Light lunches and ice cream are also available for take-out to be enjoyed in the park, or along the adjacent Niagara River Recreation Trail.
Located 2 miles south of Niagara-on -the-Lake on the scenic Niagara Parkway.
Location: 15927 Niagara Parkway, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont
Kids 6-12 $3.90
Children 5 & under Free
Dates of Operation: Open seasonally only, May 12 to September 4.
Hours of Operation: Times subject to change. Last ticket sold 1/2 hour before closing.
May 2 to Labour Day, Daily 12 noon to 5:00 pm
Links to other pages
Return to the History of Niagara page
Return home from McFarland House